Monday, September 14, 2009

snobbery

The one thing competing most for my time with reading/watching/listening, work, and general smooching of Mr RWL is the internet. It's probably a little less than exciting for me to review my friends' facebook status updates or What Hilarious Things Happened On Livejournal Today, so I won't be going on about it - but occasionally I won't be able to resist the allure of the hilarious picture. Behold:

Perhaps you've seen it? Perhaps you're offended? And rightly so.

Now, I've read the Twilight books, all of 'em. Even The Host. And my opinion is this: while reading them I became completely absorbed in the characters and their lives. Once I put the books down, all I could see were the flaws - Bella's useless and fragile heroine, Edward with his absolute lack of any appeal, and Jacob who thinks it's okay to use his strength against women. (But he doesn't know his own strength, the poor thing. Bleurgh.) The first three books are fairly harmless, then Breaking Dawn turns into this horror story of R-rated issues and gore. I hope my future children don't read them, but if they do they can expect to be given a lecture beforehand on What Is Not Cool In A Relationship And No I Don't Care That Your Love Is Special It Isn't Really.


But one thing I cannot stand is snobs. People who will criticise you for what you enjoy, be it book, music, or movie. Can you really help how you feel? If a movie moves you or a song makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, does anyone really have the right to tell you you don't know what you're talking about? Of course not. We are all different, and if we weren't, life would be dull and we'd all be stealing each other's boyfriends.


So everything here is my own opinion. If you like something I hate, good for you. I don't mind. If you hate something I like, then you are WRONG and should be arrested.

1 comment:

  1. I've not seen that picture, but now that I have . . . I'm not offended.

    The truth is, the Twilight books are pretty meh - I didn't find the writing too awful, just pedestrian, but the beliefs and attitudes espoused made me want to throttle Bella and Edward. However, that being said, I enjoyed the book and the movie and will be reading/watching the rest of the series, because it is just. so. bad.

    So yeah, calling Twilight Toilet isn't that bad, in my eyes.

    However, were anyone to judge me for my reading tastes - including enjoying Twilight for its awfulness - it would be them I would be throttling.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions, opinions! Come one, come all.