Saturday, February 15, 2014

gustavo duarte, monsters! and other stories

I'm out of practice on reviewing comics. I used to read mountains of them--not so much the DC/Marvel stuff, but a lot of indie comics--and there are piles of them in our study. Pre-Rocket, we'd head into the city every weekend and go to Comics R Us and Minotaur, or catch the train to Windsor and hit up Alternate Worlds and their Comics R Us. I've always been lucky enough to be served by only the nicest of people, who didn't seem to care that I was a lady, and to be frank, I wouldn't have been anywhere near as interested in comics when I was a wide-eyed twenty-one-year-old looking for new interests if it hadn't been for the roundly excellent service we received in a few key shops. Originally, both of these were Comics R Us stores--the one on Bourke St, and the one in Ringwood. We don't go to Ringwood much any more, but every time we do we like to go there, because Ian is one of my favourite people, and even if we haven't been in there for months or years, he still remembers us, and says hello, and asks how work is going, and suggests things, and shows us exciting stuff he has and gives us sneaky extras. As someone who grew up in the eastern suburbs, I mostly see the ex-zone-three area as a place too full of embarrassing teenage memories to enjoy it (sigh for the memory of my silver nightclub pants), but Ian alone is worth the visit. The city store, though, is where we blasted a home loan's equivalent of cash on comics and figurines and assorted fun stuff, all because everyone who worked there was so enthusiastic and cheerful and friendly and all the positive words. Later, they and we expanded into All Star Comics on Lonsdale St, up near Queen, and while we don't have the money for armfuls comics any more (apparently babies need shoes, and sometimes even food), we still make it up there once a fortnight or so to pick up the new Hellboy or some local release, to build up karma for when Chris publishes his own indie release and we sell the film rights and become millionaires and well I'm definitely not letting this train of thought get out of hand here.

Mostly, I don't read what Chris buys. Mostly, I'm distracted by crime books, or whatever writing or reviews I'm working on, or the kiddo unpacking all our cds and repacking them into new, unrelated cases, never to be found again. I still read some, but not as many. Today, over a Lime After Lime cupcake, I read Monsters! & Other Stories.

via slate.com

Some art looks so natural it reads as if the illustrators have no difficulty in what flows through the arm and past the pen. Gustavo Duarte is one of those people. Every stroke looks flawless, relaxed, and easy. It's impressive and completely enjoyable. The realistic lines of people's faces--exaggerated yet honest--and the swirl of the fantastic in his monsters and the water; they are all just right. There were maybe one or two panels in the, uh [flicks, guesses] one-fifty pages where I got lost in what was on the paper. Those are pretty good odds.

There are three stories. In Co, a farmer encounters an alien, and the resulting abduction tilts his world into a pig-and-chicken-fueled confusion. In Birds, Death pays a visit to two work colleagues who try to avoid this unpleasant appointment. In the title piece, giant monsters storm a city, and only one man and his glorious moustache know what to do. In none of them is there a single word of dialogue. Duarte is Brazilian, so this probably saved a decent amount on translation fees. The lack of dialogue or narration is never missed, with everything told in expressions and a punchy storyline. It's glorious, cartoonish, fun, delivers some swift bloodletting and left me completely happy with the afternoon's purchase and with the medium itself. Fine, I'm convinced. I should get back into this comics malarkey.

via comicsalliance.com

10 comments:

  1. News4andhra is an Entertainment portal provides you information about Telugu Film Reviews, Tollywood News, Telugu Politics News, Celebrity news, cinema news, box office collections, Telugu Movie Reviews and more at one place

    New Telugu Film Ratings

    Latest Telugu Movie Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Straightforward and written well, thanks for the information
    Thank you, great post! Just the thing I needed to know.
    Soft Trending

    ReplyDelete
  3. like: Most of your training dental surgeons in Panama speak English Panama has exceptional arrangements for diagnosing, screening and providers.
    shopbymark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pity is akin to love.
    Fantastic Stuff, do you have a bebo account?
    Sarah Berger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Latest Technolgy Trends

    All about latest technology, latest inventions, new research activities, useful products, interesting fun and many more……!

    Covers all topics like... Green World, Health Care, Home Appliances, Interesting Useful, IT Tech, Latest Inventory News, Mobile Technology and Space

    For more info:

    Latest Technology

    Health Care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pose blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a pretty nice platform you are using. Im currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it?
    I dont c was a really quality post. In theory Id like to write like this too taking time and real effort to make a good article but what can I say I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.
    When I v oint and written well, thanks much for the info
    shopbymark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, this is my very first visit for your weblog! Were a group of volunteers and starting a brand new initiative in a community within the same niche. Your weblog offered us useful info to work on. Youve got carried out a marvellous job! Anyway, in my language, there arent much good source like this.
    Hey cool blog, just wondering what anti-spam software program you use for comments as a result of i get heaps on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not negative ion generator reviews consumer reports
    air purifier made in germany
    meat purifier

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honest, and believable post. I frequently share relevant information and updates with my colleagues.

    My Interests are:
    Assured Composite

    Composite Cladding

    Composite Decking

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not been on this webpage in a long time however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues.Great stuff as usual.

    My Recommendations for best 3D printers:

    3D printers

    LulzBot TAZ Pro

    LulzBot TAZ Pro 3D Printer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Day!
    I am extremely grateful to you for the most useful stuff.
    Thank you for such a wonderful contribution to aware people most of the latest updates.
    Have a nice day!

    My Recommendations for best Auctions Online Shopping:

    Bidvaluable Auction

    auctioneer bidvaluable

    Women's Jewellery & Fashion jewellery Online Australia

    ReplyDelete

Opinions, opinions! Come one, come all.